PrimeFaces and JSF 2.0 on Google App Engine

Many PrimeFaces community members have requested for an example about deploying JSF 2.0 and PrimeFaces 2 to Google App Engine. As a lightweight components suite, PrimeFaces does not contain any mumbo jumbo to make things complicated so since GAE supports JSF 2.0, it is quite easy to add PrimeFaces for fancy UIs.

I’ve first installed Google plugin for eclipse and then followed the instructions at this nice tutorial.

That was it, PrimeFaces Labs Showcase based on 2.2.RC1-SNAPSHOT and Mojarra-2.0.3 is now deployed at;

http://primefaces-rocks.appspot.com

Except image processing components like imageCropper, most of the features of PrimeFaces are working.

8 Responses to PrimeFaces and JSF 2.0 on Google App Engine

  1. Greg says:

    PrimeFaces is great. It’s the first set of JSF components that I have actually liked. Before PrimeFaces, JSF was a technology that I would “have” to use at work.

    PrimeFaces is one of the few Java oriented technologies I would consider using ‘outside the day job’ for a web project so I’m really happy to see it working under google app engine.

    I am amazed how fast this component library is taking shape. I cannot say enough good things about it.

  2. Thank you Greg, if you don’t mind I’d like to put your comment to testimonials section at PrimeFaces homepage.

    http://www.primefaces.org/whyprimefaces.html

  3. Greg says:

    No problem, I really like it.

  4. NikNik says:

    I try to use PrimeFaces with Intellij Idea + Mojarra+GAE.
    No success.

  5. Ara Minosian says:

    Please, post sources!!!

  6. jk says:

    No good Cagatai…
    When i deployed my app using primefaces-2.2.RC1-SNAPSHOT console shows:
    “CONFIGURATION FAILED! No Function Found on type: org.primefaces.util.ComponentUtils with signature: java.lang.String getWidgetVar(java.lang.String)…”
    When using primefaces-2.1, most components simply doesn’t work, like and
    We realy apreciate examine your showcase “.war” and try to find our mistakes.

  7. Try support forum for questions.

  8. davebarber says:

    I’ve been using Primefaces with GAE since 2.1. It works well. I use Mojarra-2.0.3-FCS and Netbeans 6.9. The only problem I have found is with p:fileupload. It references commons-fileupload which uses a black-listed class (javax.rmi.UID). I made a small hack to replace the UID reference and have had no problems since. You also have to limit the upload size so as to not exceed the threshold since GAE will not let you create a file on the server. I set the threshold to 1MB since that is the limit for storing blobs in the datastore.

%d bloggers like this: